Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pot-pie Extravaganza

I have been wanting to serve dinner at Union Station, a homeless shelter/rehabilitation center in Pasadena, for a long time. I recently found out that our church is responsible for preparing and serving dinner the 2nd Sunday of every month. This includes making dinner for about 50 people, delivering it to the center, and serving it to the residents. It's quite structured in terms of what you can and can not bring, and my "go to" lasagna was on the "no" list. I decided on chicken pot-pie, salad, and garlic bread for the meal, and bars and ice cream for dessert. Luckily, my neighbor, Rebecca, volunteered to help me on Saturday as this was quite a large undertaking for me. She made all the crusts, rolled them out, and put them on top of each pie. I had made all the fillings earlier as well as dessert. Thank you, Rebecca!!!!!


Here are all the fillings without the crusts as well as 1 pan of bars. We were so thankful to have the help of our friends, Joey and Katie, to serve the meal on Sunday. It was a great experience and I will definitely do it again. I might make something a bit simpler though so it doesn't take a whole day. Also, I will prepare less food as we had 3 of the 6 pot-pies left (for some reason only about 25 people showed up that evening) Luckily, they gladly accept leftovers so we weren't stuck with anything. I think Union Station has a great program and does a great service to our community. I am happy to help support them in this way.
I do have to say, I can't see myself eating pot-pie for a VERY long time. I pretty much never want to see it again.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Looks like fun Heid! I'm sure it was definitely a lot of work but also very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I spend a whole day making something I don't want to eat it afterwards!