Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, November 10, 2008

Vegetarian

A couple of weeks ago, I felt very convicted to be vegetarian for the month of November. I can't explain where the feeling came from, but I couldn't shake it and so I decided to give it a try. It's actually something I've been toying with for a while, but just keep pushing it to the back of my mind. I don't eat a lot of meat in general, so it's not a big change, but so far I am really enjoying it. I'm using this month to read and research more about it and try and figure out if it's something I want to commit to 100% or maybe just 90/10 or 80/20. I just can't shake the statistics about how much more energy and land it takes to produce meat for human consumption than grain, veggies, beans, etc. Pretty shocking. Especially when there are millions of people starving in this world. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been cutting back quite a bit on meat as well, or at least trying to buy local, ethically-treated animals. I know God didn't intend for us to treat them the way they are treated modernly. It really all comes back to money and greed- what's the fastest way to grow and slaughter as much meat as possible? Who cares if it is cruel to them and unhealthy for us?

I recommend the book Omnivore's Dilemma as great reading on this and similar topics. What to Eat is also good. The book (and movie) Fast Food Nation is another good one. Skinny Bitch is ok too, though they're more crude than scientific.

Keep us posted on your decision!

Anonymous said...

p.s. my e-mail is sarahschraw@gmail.com if you want to correspond about this more! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the ideas, but I have never felt convicted to act on it. I love meat too much. Maybe I'm just a bad human being :)

(note to Sarah--the spammers are going to find your email address!)