Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 8, 2009

On not fitting in...

I've been back in school for a little over a month now completing some prereqs for a Master's in Nutrition program that I'd like to start next summer. When I decided to take my prereqs at Pasadena City College, I knew that I wouldn't blend in as the "typical" student. However, I only thought I wouldn't fit in since I'm "old" and married. Little did I know that every student in my chemistry class would have black hair except for me. Now I really stand out! I've never really been the minority and it's been a very interesting experience for me on learning to stay true to myself.
Before my first lab, the professor told us that we'd need to have safety goggles to do our lab. I thought, "Great! Noel and I just purchased some for when we refinished our tub! I won't have to buy any!". So, I showed up to the first lab wearing my home improvement safety glasses. I was also not expecting to not fit in this way, but I was the only one who had wrap around glasses. Everyone else had purchased cool goggles from the lab store. This became one area where I decided it might be better to just try and fit in.



3 comments:

Christen said...

Heidi,

I LOVE IT! =) If I met you at PCC, I'd be your friend.

-Christen

Corrie and Phil said...

That cracked me up!

You didn't want to add a black wig to your fancy goggles?

Hope you're enjoying your classes.

Anonymous said...

That is a cute story!! I think you made the right choice to buy the new safety glasses. LOL

Christine