Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 14, 2008

You can make a difference

I've recently been really inspired to be more "green". I still don't know what that looks like exactly, but I've been trying to make small changes. I now bring canvas bags to the grocery store, I buy eco-friendly dish soap, I plan to replace our next light bulb that needs changing with a florescent, etc. However, I didn't realize until recently what a huge difference each of us can make by committing to buying local produce even if it's only for one meal a week. I'm reading the book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver and am astonished by some of the facts she presents. Here's a quote that really blew me away (and I think it might you as well):

"If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country's oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week. That's not gallons, but barrels. Small changes in buying habits can make big differences."

If you've been wondering if your decisions actually have an impact on the future of our world, they do. And if you're looking for a good book to read, I highly recommend this one (though I'm not even a quarter of the way through it).

Are you making an effort to be more "green"?

No comments: