Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Breathing and eating

Hazel has been switched from a high-flow nasal cannula to a regular nasal cannula. This is the last step before trying to breathe on her own! I don't think they'll try that with her for a little while yet since she definitely still requires oxygen, but she's very close. She doesn't require much oxygen and is usually on "room air" or slightly higher.

Jude's back up rate (number of breaths he receives per minute) is being dropped slowly but surely. They may try him on the cannula again tomorrow. I'm still not convinced he's ready, but it's worth a try I guess! I do have a feeling he'll be ready by Friday though, if not before. Last night I told him that was his goal. He listened to me about his goal for extubation, so I hope he listens to me again. He could have Christmas on the cannula!

Hazel is making slow but steady progress in her feeding. She still hasn't had any major spit-ups! We're praying this trend continues.

Jude is eating everything they give him, just like he always has. His feeds are getting increased slightly every couple of days. He needs to put on some weight!

2 comments:

Sara said...

We are so happy to read the latest updates and see the babies growing and developing. We love you all the wish you the Merriest Christmas!

Love,
Mark and Sara

Bill Wells said...

What is their weight these days and how many days until they will be 36 weeks old from conception?

I was talking to Jude and Hazel and they asked me to ask you two when do you think they will be able to come home? What do they need to do before they can come home?

Is there anything you still need to do before the two babies come home that our family can help you with?