Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Groceries

Is it just here in California, or is it nationwide, that the grocery prices are going up dramatically? It seems like every time I've gone to the store over the past couple of months, something on my regular grocery list, has gone up in price. I'm not talking about a few cents here and there, I'm talking about jumps like 30%. My whole wheat pitas (a weekly staple!) used to be 99 cents; now they're $1.29. Soy milk used to be $1.29, but is now $1.49. Eggs used to be 99 cents; now they're $1.49. Jam used to be $2.99; now it's $3.49. And that's just to name a few. I don't intend to pay THAT close of attention to prices, but my mind just seems to remember them (I've always had a "numbers" brain...I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse). My question is, how does one absorb these costs, when paychecks are not getting any larger? We only have so much money. When prices rise like this, that means we have to take money from a different category in our budget to pay for it (since there isn't any "leftover" money from our paychecks). I'm thankful that budgeting is a gift of ours, but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what we could do differently. Are you all experiencing the same things?

2 comments:

Kraig said...

Great question! I have been watching these increases with friends as well (I'm also from So. Cal.) I guess we could start eating less meat? That's my only idea so far and I don't really like it since I feel so good when I get a lot of protein.

Danielle

Noel said...

Hey Danielle-
Yeah, we already don't eat a lot of meat (although I splurge on salmon sometimes:) ). Maybe rice, beans, and tofu is the way to go? There's always the option of going cheap and unhealthy (lots of mac and cheese), but I just can't do that to my body.
Heidi